Javidx9 Top 5’s

(57)

It would seem people are quite curious about things I like, so I thought it would be useful to have a page that I can point such individuals towards. Here are my Top 5 “things” in various categories.

Top 5 Films

• Hackers
  • The Andromeda Strain (1969)
  • Batman Trilogy (Nolan)
  • Inside Out
  • John Wick

Top 5 Foods

• Chilli Con Carne
  • Pulpo a la Gallega
  • Char Siu with Green Pepper and Blackbeans
  • Walkers Chicken and Thyme Sensations
  • Pistachio Nuts

Top 5 Programming Languages

• C++
  • Lua
  • Java
  • BBC Basic
  • VHDL

Top 5 TV Series

• The West Wing
  • The X-Files
  • Lost
  • The Orville
  • The Sopranos

Top 5 Tracks

• La Gazza Ladra – Rosinni
  • Nightrain – Guns N’ Roses
  • Contact – Daft Punk
  • The Haunt of Roulette Dares – The Mars Volta
  • You To Me Are Everything – The Real Thing

Top 5 Albums

• Frances The Mute – The Mars Volta
  • The Wall – Pink Floyd
  • Appetite For Destruction – Guns N’ Roses
  • Deloused In The Comatorium – The Mars Volta
  • Mechanical Animals – Marilyn Manson

Top 5 Star Trek Captains

• Janeway
  • Picard
  • Lorca
  • Kirk
  • Pike

Top 10 Games

• The Witness
    Deservedly titled “the best game I have ever played”. What a wonderful experience from start to finish (and yes I 100% it, even the damn boat and time trial). It is a lesson in game design. If you think its just line puzzles, you are very very wrong, and it gives you those “oooh I get it now, I wasn’t expecting that!” moments every couple of hours. Do not spoil this game, it is best enjoyed not knowing anything about it, and just enjoying the ride. A true masterpiece.
  • Final Fantasy VII
    Admittedly, there is a heap of nostalgia bundled into this, but wow was this an eye opener. RPGs up until this point were good but despite its aged looks today, this was really immersive, and grown up, and fun, and surprising, and tactical, and explorational. A rock solid adventure, creating mountains of lore, that’s really addictive to play.
  • Super Metroid
    Often touted as the pinnacle of game design demonstrated in a single title, and deservedly so. I don’t like shooters, I don’t care for shooty platformers either, but this game plays so well, its like playing a musical instrument when it comes together. Packed with replay value, a genuine demand for gameplay skill, and a variety of ways through the game, means its a game I play several times a year.
  • Super Mario Brothers 3
    It’s Super Mario Brothers 3 – what else needs to be said?
  • Uncharted 2
    So Uncharted 1 was good, but a bit generic. This sequel was genre redefining. It’s like a roller coaster all the time, the world collapsing and changing around you whilst you explore and navigate is captivating. The story and acting is top notch, and its the first time I’ve ever felt that a game is a genuine interactive movie. Really gripping and fluid gameplay all the time just makes this extremely fun to play, and can be enjoyed by spectators too.
  • Crash Bandicoot
    What really needs saying? It’s Crash Bandicoot! At the time, absolutely mind blowing visuals and gameplay which still hold up to this day. Classic Naughty Dog stuff, being very simple and accessible, but requiring lots of practice to master.
  • Fez
    An absolute gem. Look pass it’s indy credentials and its controversial developer and what you discover is a real masterpiece. Its geeky, the puzzles are hard and its a game with so much beneath the surface its easy to think its a different game entirely. The fact it has distinct “new game” playthroughs, and it took me ages to find all the cubes (except the final one, I had to google that) really impressed me.
  • Batman: Arkham City
    I like Batman. I like exploration games, and I like games with loads of things to find. This was a superbly immersive and engaging game. Fun fact, I’ve found all the Riddler trophies in all the Arkham games.
  • Command & Conquer: Red Alert
    A perfect blend of story and gameplay depth made this a far better sequel to its predecessor. The cinematics, the music, and the variety kept me coming back for more. Also exchanging strategies with friends as currency.
  • The Incredible Machine
    At the time it was genre defining. Solve puzzles by building various mechanical contraptions, and had a sandbox mode you could simply build in. Very addictive, highly educational and totally silly nonsense. Perfect.

Rate this post!

Average rating 4.7 / 5. Vote count: 57

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.